Craft Apprenticeship – North West England(Merseyside)
SCOTTISH POWER LIMITED
We need Linespersons to work on our overhead lines infrastructure, Jointers to work on our underground cables and Fitters to work in our substations. You could be helping to connect new customers to our network; installing Smart equipment for monitoring or automation or locating faults on the network to restore power to our customers.
Closing date: March 10, 2024
- You’ll have the opportunity to focus on a trade and become an Overhead Linesperson, Jointer or a Fitter
- Cable jointing will see successful candidates work primarily on the electrical underground cable network, installing and maintaining connections over a range of voltages
- Ensuring that the electricity supply meets customer needs, and the network maintains our high standards
- Your role will also involve connecting cables to the system as well as finding faults and repairing problems which may have developed through age or damage
- Fitting involves working on equipment within substations over a range of voltages. This work is varied and includes carrying out preventative and reactive maintenance following faults and decommissioning of old equipment and commissioning of new equipment
- You will be working on a diverse range of equipment including switchgear, transformers and auxiliary control and protection equipment all of which can vary from old mechanical, analogue equipment to new digital electronic equipment
- Working as part of a small team across a range of locations, you’ll ensure that our electricity network meets our high standards by producing quality work, sometimes at heights or in confined spaces
- Overhead Linesperson – Working at heights, often in a rural environment, you’d be responsible for installing and repairing overhead lines to maintain power transmission, distribution and to ensure our customers electricity supply is available 24/7
- A self-motivated and flexible approach is crucial to becoming an Overhead Linesperson apprentice here at SP Energy Networks
- You’ll also need to be an enthusiastic team player who enjoys working outdoors. Comfortable working at heights, you should be practical, well organised and a good problem solver with a positive attitude and the ability to work on your own initiative
During your training, you’ll develop your technical knowledge and practical skills. Within your first year, you’ll be out in your local district being mentored by our experienced Craftspeople. And on completion of your programme, you’ll join them as you continue your career as a Craftsperson. The qualification you will gain is Power Networks Craftsperson Level 3.
Upon successful completion of programme, should you prove to be the right candidate you will recieve a range of flexible benefits as a Craftsperson.
SCOTTISH POWER LIMITED
Our energy landscape is going through a time of profound change. A challenge touching every part of our society, we need to eradicate carbon emissions to halt the effects of climate change. We need to change how we live our lives and replace the use of fossil fuels for transport and heat. Electricity will be at the heart of the solution, through electric vehicles and heat pumps. And with more renewables generation and other technologies connected to the electricity grid than ever before, it’s our role to make sure we create a more efficient, cleaner, greener network to accommodate this increase in demand. Within SP Energy Networks, we are focusing on harnessing technology and innovation to create the networks of the future. With distribution networks designed for predictable, stable demand, it’s vital we upgrade our network to create the flexibility required to cope with the extensive changes to electricity demand, generation, and consumer behaviour. Through technology and innovation, we will enable a consumer-led revolution in the use and operation of our system. It will undergo the biggest changes to its design and operation for over half a century; and you can be part of it. We know people are central to building a better future, quicker, and we need talented, hardworking and flexible people to join us.
WIGAN AND LEIGH COLLEGEApprenticeship standard:
Power network craftsperson (level 3)