Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship
Palmerston School is an outstanding school that provides high quality education for pupils aged 11-19. This is an exciting opportunity for those who wish to work within special educational needs whilst being supported by a strong and nurturing team of colleagues.
Closing date: March 15, 2024
- This role involves working in a school with children and young people with Severe Learning Difficulties (SLD), Profound and Multiple Leaning Difficulties (PLMD), Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC) and other associated medical and physical difficulties including communication and behavioural difficulties.
- Assist teaching staff in the delivery of learning activities and working with small groups / individuals to ensure learning is taking place
- Supervise the activities of individuals or groups of pupils both in and out of the classroom (including educational visits) to ensure their safety and facilitate their physical and emotional development in accordance with the school’s behaviour management policy
- Monitor individual pupil’s progress, achievements and development and report these to the teaching staff
- Liaise with parents and carers in conjunction with the teaching staff to ensure effective communication concerning the pupils’ well being
- Record pupil information, as specified by the teaching staff/line manager to ensure that schools’ information systems are maintained
- Prepare and maintain learning equipment and ensure that the classroom is kept clean and tidy
- Display and present the pupils’ work under the direction of teaching staff, so that it enhances the classroom environment and celebrates achievement
- Attend staff and other meetings and participate in staff training / development work and staff reviews as required
- The apprentice will be working towards the Level 3 Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship.
- If the succesful apprentice does not hold GCSE grades A*-C (9-4) or equivalent, they will be required to complete a Level 2 Functional Skills in the relevant subject (Math and English)
- Training will be provided by North West Community Services Training and the employer school. This will take place regulary through online sessions and face to face sessions within the school. There is no need to travel for training sessions.
Employment as a teaching assistant either within SEND schools or across a number of other educational settings.
Palmerston is an outstanding school that provides high quality education for pupils aged 11-19. We believe that all young people should experience a learning environment which nurtures, supports and challenges them to develop their independence skills, to be happy and confident. The positive relationships we have built between pupils, staff, governors, parents and our neighbouring community are highly valued and now we are fully established on our new site we look forward to building on these. We place great emphasis on developing independence and communication skills and have the highest expectations of our pupils encouraging them to achieve their goals no matter how big or small.
NORTH WEST COMMUNITY SERVICES TRAINING LTDApprenticeship standard:
Teaching assistant (level 3)